221 East Side Square, Suite 1, Huntsville, Alabama 35801
$100 CONSULTATION FEE 256-937-1540 $100 CONSULTATION FEE 256-937-1540

Frequently Asked Family Law Questions in Alabama

Providing the answers you need to make good decisions for yourself and your family

Family law is complex and requires specific actions to ensure that you meet the legal requirements associated with divorce, child custody orders and restraining orders. At Sree B. Ravi, P.C., Attorney at Law we have the information and resources you need to understand the legal system and develop a strategy that works for you and your family.


Child custody and visitation


Restraining orders

Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements

Rely on us to provide quality family law advice and representation

At Sree B. Ravi, we maintain a comfortable, caring environment where you receive quality legal guidance. We offer consultations and flexible appointment times to fit your schedule. Call us at 256-937-1540 or contact us online to discuss your case.


How do I get a divorce in Alabama?

To get a divorce in Alabama, you must file a petition in the county where either party lives or in the county where you lived at the time of separation. The defendant is required to file an answer in response to the allegations in the divorce petition. Other residency requirements may apply. Once the parties have come to an agreement about the terms of the divorce, the judge can enter the final divorce decree.

How long does a divorce take in Alabama?

The court does not enter a final judgment of divorce until at least 30 days after the summons and complaint is filed. Divorces can take several months if the parties disagree about the division of marital property and other arrangements.

How much does a divorce cost in Alabama?

Filing fees vary by county, but are usually under $200. Contested divorces can be much more expensive.

Back to top

Child Custody and visitation

How does the court decide who gets custody?

The best interest of children is always the primary concern when creating custody and visitation arrangements. The court looks at several factors, including the character of each parent, the age and sex of the children, and any other factors regarding their future health and education.

Can I change my existing custody and visitation schedule?

If you experienced a substantial change in circumstances that affects your ability to comply with your custody or visitation arrangement, you can petition the court for a modification. The court always looks at what is in the best interests of the children before making any changes to existing orders.

Back to top


Am I guaranteed to get alimony if I get a divorce?

No. The court only awards alimony if it determines that there is sufficient need to compensate one party. There are certain factors the court looks at to determine if one spouse requires support following a divorce.

How does the court calculate an appropriate amount of alimony?

The judge has full discretion to determine the amount of spousal support. Alimony is designed to allow both spouses to support themselves as close to their current standard of living as possible.

Back to top

Restraining orders

How can I get a restraining order in Alabama?

You must file a petition with the court identifying the perpetrator of abuse and detailing the type of domestic violence involved. The court holds a hearing within 15 days of the date of filing, and the plaintiff must prove the allegations by a preponderance of the evidence.

What does a restraining order do?

Orders of protection are designed to prevent further contact between the parties involved. The defendant will be required to maintain a certain distance from the plaintiff and will be prohibited from initiating further contact in most circumstances. If the defendant violates the terms of the restraining order, they may face significant jail time, depending on the number of violations.

Back to top

Prenuptial & postnuptial agreements

What is a prenup?

A prenuptial agreement is a contract between spouses that provides for the distribution of marital property and assets in the event of separation or divorce. Prenuptial agreements are entered into prior to a marriage, and postnuptial agreements are created after a marriage.

What are the requirements for a valid prenup or postnup?

In Alabama, a valid prenup must be in writing and must be entered into voluntarily by each party. Full disclosure of property and assets is also required for a court to recognize a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement.

Back to top


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form