Huntsville, AL Family Law Attorney Helps You Through the Adoption Process
Helping families navigate Alabama legal process
Adopting a child is a joyful, yet daunting task. Sree B. Ravi, P.C., Attorney at Law helps families navigate the long process and provides the resources necessary to fulfill the many requirements involved. Whether you are considering adoption or are already involved in an administrative quagmire, our firm is here to help. The law puts many obstacles between children who are in need and good families who wish to provide a home for them. We are committed to breaking down these barriers and making the process as easy as possible.
Helping with all types of Huntsville adoptions
Because of legal and logistical differences between circumstances, there are a variety of different types of adoptions. Some types of adoption in Alabama include:
- Agency: There are public and private agencies who work to match parents with children. While they take care of much of the paperwork, an attorney will help you draft an adoption petition and represent you in the agency hearing.
- Independent: Adoptions occurring without the help of an agency are called independent adoptions. In these cases, it is essential that you have an experienced lawyer guiding you through the process.
- Same-sex couple: Same-sex couples may face additional challenges when trying to adopt in Alabama. While the law does not explicitly forbid same-sex parents from adopting, some judges or administrators may not cooperate. Same-sex marriages also present special issues when there is a later divorce. If you run into an issue, our firm is here to help.
- Stepparent: When someone who is already a parent enters into a marriage, their spouse may wish to become the child’s legal parent. While stepparent adoptions can be simple in some cases, we will help you if the other birth parent is contesting the process.
- Relative (kinship): In a situation where a parent has passed away or is unable to care for their child, a family member may wish to become the child’s legal parent. We will help your family through this process.
- Identified: When a birth mother and the adopting parents find each other independently, they can turn to an agency for help facilitating the transition. This is called an identified adoption.
- International: Adopting a child from another country involves federal law, state law and immigration procedures. An attorney can help you deal with the procedures and formalities involved.
- Adult: Alabama allows adults to be adopted in some limited situations. In most cases, the adult will need to be some type of family relation such as a stepchild. Additionally, adult adoptions are allowed for the seriously disabled or mentally challenged.
Each process is different. We will guide you through your adoption process regardless of the type.
Guiding you through paperwork and hearings
Our firm will guide you through bureaucracy and paperwork in Alabama. First, we will explain the state’s requirements to you and help you understand whether you are qualified to adopt. Next, we will help you complete and submit your application. You will next attend Group Preparation and Selection (GPS) meetings where you will learn more about adoptions and undergo an interview in your home. The County Department of Human Resources will next confirm your approval as an adoptive resource.
Before a child is placed in your home, there will be pre-placement visits to determine if the child and your family are a good match. After placement, we will help you with the process of making the adoption official in probate court. Our firm is here to help families when they run into issues with any of these steps and afterwards as they continue raising their new children.
Contact an attorney who will be a constant resource for you
Sree B. Ravi, P.C., Attorney at Law can help you through even the most complicated adoption. We offer flexible appointments that suit your schedule. Visit our Huntsville office for a consultation. Call us at 256-937-1540 or contact us online to discuss your case.